Thursday, June 23, 2005

New staffs..

Every morning before, as a routine, I will check my GA machine & all the connections prior to starting any cases. Mmmm... today, this new Fabius Drager GA machine giving problem.. cannot complete the leak test, and there's lotsa leaking with the circuit.. This is the new digital GA machine, Check the connection, circuit, breathin bag,soda lime, and in fact everthing.. but cannot figure out what is going wrong. So, at the end, have to change to another GA machine (Ulco).. Still the older GA machine is more reliable :)

Today really "headache".. I have two new junior GA nurses in my operating theatre (like two or three weeks working experience..). Both of them still quite blur in many aspects. I have few paediatric cases in the morning, and I asked them to get the Ayre's T-piece breathing circuit for me.. Aiyk.. They don't know what is Ayre's T-piece breathing circuit... Aiyo.. this is the basic breathing circuit we use for paediatrics/children less than 20 kg leh.. Why they put two new junior GA nurses inside.. I prefer having one more senior or experienced GA nurse.

It's really headache each time of the year when the more experienced or senior staff nurses leaving or getting transferred.. Really have to spend so much time teaching these junior nurses especially those who just graduated from nursing school. I can say most are blur.. Big time headache !! And some of them take so long time to learn.. I don't mind teaching them, but there's a limit to everything lah.. Not that I'm racist, but from what I see, the Chinese or Indian one normally pick up much faster compared to the other group :) Of course there are exception as well.. There are many good Malay nurses as well, but these are the experienced or more senior nurses. Nowadays, really sad to say that, the nursing standard has really drop..

Just a side topic, today, there's a premature baby with body weight of 600 gram came for emergency operation. She's so small... So tiny.. So fragile.. Poor baby.. I take a picture of her with my palm Zire 71. (U can imagine right, how big is a 600 g or 0.6 kg baby..)

4 comments:

cooknengr said...

what's up doc ? May be it's electromacgnetic interference from a cell phone ..pro talk again :)

Chen said...

cooknengr,
nope.. I'm 101% sure it has nothing to do with that :P

Chen said...

Gasman,
yeah, most of the time, I will do the things myself.. Waiting for them to get the things might take ages..

Chen said...

kktan,

the Ayre's T piece breathing circuit is not any basic equipment in medical field but it's something basic in my field loh.. :) And that is not their first day in the department.. If first week, then I understand lah.. They have been around for 3 weeks already, should have pick up most basic things already by then..

But some of those new grads from nursing school r indeed blur.. Dunno how they passed their exam...