Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Bilin/Midin Fern

Some call it Midin Fern, some call it milin fern, while other call it as bilin...
Well... All Sarawakians will know about this vegetable.. the wild fern with curled leaf stalks, found in the jungle in the Borneo Island :) This wild jungle fern is a culinary dish of Borneo Island/Sarawak. So far, I haven't see this vegetable outside Borneo Island..

This is one of the vegetable dishes that I liked very much... I'm sure most Sarawakians who study abroad or working outstation will buy/order this dishes when they go back home to Sarawak. It's indeed very delicious.... Yummy... This wild jungle fern can be cooked with shrimp paste/sambal belachan or anchovies/ikan bilis or garlic or wine.. Too bad I didnt take any photos of the dishes previously.. I will sure do so during my next trip back home to Sarawak.

I was talking about this wild fern to Lawrence, a fellow Sarawakian, now working in Penang few days ago... Milin fern is apparently one of his favourite dishes as well :) Damn... Now I'm craving for it already..... :( Will only get to eat it during my next trip back home to Sarawak :(

8 comments:

Kamkuey said...

Interesting veg...
my fave veg is kangkung.. hehehehehe...

Jellyfish said...

it looked like dyed maggi mee in green color to me

nvr saw that b4
kekekeke

YeePei said...

I've tried it before.. when I visited Kuching long time ago. good stuff. :)

cooknengr said...

What's up Doc, may be you can plant some in Penang.

Anonymous said...

You are right, can't find this stuff here in west malaysia. Gotta wait till balik kampung then only can makan.

hornbill said...

Chen... i got lot of midin fern behind my house...

Chen said...

kamkuey,
I like kangkung as well... My second favourite vege after midin fern :)

jelly,
aiyoh.. what lah u..dyed maggi mee in green color?? piak your head then u know :P Come to Sarawak and then u will see plenty of those wild fern :)

yeepei,
yeah.. indeed very good stuff...

cooknengr,
hahhaa... i plant some in Penang? Sure tak jadi one.. cos I always forget (and sometimes lazy as well) to water the plant :P

Sharl612 ,
yeah.. What to do? Have to wait till next trip back home loh...

Chen said...

Grace,
aiyoh... u so lucky...
*jealous*
Can send some to me ah? kekekke..:P
I feel like eating midin fern now leh...